1. Create a notecard for each of the following:
- Agree/Disagree Share whether you agree or disagree with a comment or explanation. Be sure to explain your agreement or disagreement.
- Restate Repeat what was just said in your own words. (Not directions!)
- Check/Repeat Clarify in your own words what the teacher or a classmate says. “So you’re saying…”
- Further Participation Add a comment to the class discussion. (This may also be an explanation of a concept.)
- Questions Ask a classmate a question or for clarification.
2. After explaining each card, pass the cards out randomly to students prior to a discussion. Tell them that they are expected to participate in the discussion according to the directions on their card.
3. After students participate, either collect thier card, or have them randomly pass it to a classmate, and continue the discussion.
Created by Rebecca Green, 7th grade math teacher at William H. Farquhar MS, and is an adaptation of the 5 Talk Moves from Classroom Discussions: Using Math Talk to Help Students Learn. Chapin, O’Connor, and Anderson.